Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 22, 2011

Dear Lord, we made it to Lira, safely..THANK YOU! We dont have running water, thank y ou that YOU are our provider. I got to talk to Phillip and the kids last night, It was so overwhelming to see them and hear their voices. THANK YOU for internet connection!!!

So...we arrived in Entebbe Tuesday night. A mosquito bit me right as we walked out of the airport!!! The airline left one of mine and Kellies bags in Brussells!!! Thats frustrating. It has my camera batteries and cards..AND a special item Logan sent with me from him. It was such a sacrifice for him to send it... Plese Lord bring it back to me.

We left Entebbe in a big bus. The ride to Kambala was nice. Pastor James and Shalom met us at the airport. Diana was so excited. Grinning for ear to ear. I guess the ride was no more than an hour. We stayed in a hotel in Kambala. I struggled for peace. I couldnt tell though...if it was a Holy Spirit thing, or the fact that I was in a new country, and struggling with fatigue. I was staying, be choice, in a room by myself. And, I confess... i was scared. Shalom...my new African sister stayed with me. I was a little uneasy at first...but, women truely are the same all around the world...we stayed up till 3am talking and sharing our lives with one another. It was such a sweet time that I will never forget.

Morning came, and Shalom knelt beside the bed and prayed for us. She named almost everyone of the Liberty team members by name (whom she had JUST met) and prayed... I mean...calling down the heavens kinda prayer at 7am!!It was an amazing way to start the day!!! She is my Africa sister---LOVE her!!

Breakfast was outside near the busy street of Kambala. People were everywhere. Walking, riding bicycles, motorcycles (no helmets!!!) On the bicycles there would be up to THREE people smushed on!!!  Including babies and kids! Its like a taxi system. So are motorcycles... and the women sit on the back sideways...againg with no helmets. I would SO fall right off---and really need a helmet!!! ha. Breakfast was boiled eggs, loaf bread--but sweet, bananas..served with hot milk and tea. It was all really good.

After stopppig to exchange our American money into shillings...we left off for our long ride to Lira. We stopped at a market...where I made my bery first African purchase::: a dt coke, cough drops AND some hillbilly gummy teeth for Max & Kylee.

The drive to Lira was over 5 hours. nice though. The scenery was captiving. I usually sleep on long drives.. I could not take my eyes off of the people, buildings, huts, cows ---literally...on the side of, and IN the road. There was so much to take in. Children everywhere. In the roadPeople do not have the ride of way here. You move or get hit. I wondered where all there parents are?  We saw a BEAUTIFUL ummm, lake... or river...maybe?? There was a water fall. THEN, we saw monkeys!!! They were right beside our bus on both sides..everywhere.

We arrived to an amazing welcome by the women and children of Bridge of Hope Church. They line both sides of the road and followed alongside our bus singing, dancing and making this noise..umm, not a scream...not a yoddle.... but something in between. They make this noise as a way to show excitement. It was all beautiful... powerful and I think all 13 of us were weeping. Who are we.. to deserve such a welcome?? They were smiling so big!! We stepped off the bus to sooo many hugs and smiles. I cant wait for Phillip to see the video and pictures. It was amazing and overwhelming.

We were taken to our rooms and then immediately to the church. Diana introduced us, more hoopin and hollerin and yoddeling ;). Mommas nursing their babies right there in the middle of worship and message and prayers!! Now, THATS my kind of mommas!!!

Then we went outside to a big table ...where our team was seated as well as the leaders of Bridge of Hope Church.  They had prepared a song for us in English and then they also performed an African song and dance.Beautiful.

Next we ate. Dinner was rice, chicken and pork, a veggie soup mixture, and the bread was like tortillas...only thicker...called Chipata's...sooooo good!! And the most amazing pineapple I have ever tasted. Logan would have LOVED it!!!

We went back to our rooms ..no running water for a shower. But, we did have power now. I got settled in and skuped  my family. I layed down in the bed with my laptop and my husbands face and went to sleep. It was good.

Father, renew our strength this morning. In Jesus name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment